[game_edu] SCRUM in Game Development

Anthony Hart-Jones tony at dragonstalon.co.uk
Sun Jan 9 09:20:15 EST 2011

I'd say that sounds like the UK games industry to me, especially in
AAA studios. The last place I worked, we had got used to a cycle of
hectic crunch before every deadline, then company-sponsored 'thank-you'
activities (paint-ball, karting, etc.) as a reward for hitting the
deadlines. When we shifted to an Agile cycle (Scrum-lite, the COO
called it), the cycle of crunch and crash persisted.
When you have a three-week sprint-cycle, that is a very strange thing
to see...

In my experience, many AAA studios are still more like university than
most other business environments. It may be something to do with the
need to encourage creativity, or it could just be that designers like me
are a bad influence on otherwise disciplined programmers...