[game_edu] The Multiplayer Classroom

Lee Sheldon clsheldo at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 15:06:20 EDT 2011

And I'm not Ian (I'm older and grouchier), however like him I usually just
use Microsoft Word to write the syllabus. All four multiplayer classroom
syllabi are in the book. The class I taught this spring featured a fairly
elaborate narrative that included mysterious messages to the various guilds,
giving them different pieces of a larger puzzle. I used PowerPoint for the
messages. I also planned and tracked game logic with a couple simple Visio
flowcharts so I could keep track of the narrative and adjust to student
actions much like an ARG. Some of this is in the book, but it went to press
before the end of the semester.

Lee

Lee Sheldon
Associate Professor
Department of Language, Literature and Communication
Co-Director Games and Simulation Arts and Sciences Program
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute