[game_edu] Request for Technical Assistance

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 21:48:39 EDT 2011

I've used Camtasia for lecture recording, works great. Their website has
tutorials which make it pretty easy to get up and running, it's not totally
plug-and-play but it's close.

Another option is to purchase a digital video camera that has the capability of
downloading video to a computer file (or, a normal video camera + a separate
device that transfers tape to computer). Then you don't even have to mess around
with recording software. If you like to give "chalk talks" that might be easiest
- just set up a camera in the back of the class next time you teach.

As for digital format (mp3 vs avi or whatever), I wouldn't worry about that too
much. It's like wondering whether to put your graphics in jpg or png format --
pretty much every viewing tool out there can support every major format, most of
them compress pretty well, so whatever format gets output by whatever tool
you're using is probably Good Enough.

I'd also suggest asking around on your campus to see what kinds of
software/equipment they already have available to faculty. I've taught at
several places that would set you up. A few likely resources to get you started:

* Your students. In a typical game dev class, especially if students have
studied video game art/animation, you might have some who know how to do video
production, or who know someone who knows how.

* If there's a major in telecommunications (or game art/animation) or similar
where students learn how to produce video, see if you can contact some of the
faculty who might be able to get you set up with equipment and training (or even
a student intern).

* If your school has an eLearning department, they almost certainly will have
the tools to put lectures online since that's what they do :-)

As for where to put the files, a lot depends on your goal. If you just want to
get the information out there, YouTube works well (but does have that pesky
restriction that you have to break everything up into ten-minute chunks, which
might be a bit unwieldy if you're putting up 50 hours' worth of lecture
recordings). Your school probably offers at least some web space to faculty, so
you might be able to host it on the school's website if they don't mind (some
schools are totally into open courseware, others jealously guard their course
content as if education isn't their mission so much as their manufactured
product which must be hidden behind a tuition pay wall). You might approach
other schools who have embraced open courseware to see if they'd be willing to
host your files too, even if it's not one of "their" classes - all it takes is
one to say yes :-)

There are also a number of "DiY education" web services out there where you can
do everything from hosting recorded lectures to giving (and recording) them live
via streaming video. Generally you can choose to either make your course
available to the public, or make it only accessible to those who pay for it.
Services vary widely in usability, features and cost, so shop around.

If your goal is to make the info available to anyone who wants it, consider
slapping a Creative Commons license on it. This reduces the number of emails
you'll receive from people asking permission to reference the videos or other
work in their own classes.

- Ian