[game_edu] Escapist Article

Griffin Gardner griffin at griffingardner.com
Thu Jun 23 13:15:11 EDT 2011

Just my 2 cents... I took the Video Game Design course at ACC in 2007,
learned SO much and immediately got hired by Critical Mass Interactive after
I got my certificate. That experience, plus my membership in IGDA, gave me
the basic knowledge, networking opportunities and confidence to reinvent my
life (I am a woman in my 40s, BTW...) I applaude the community college
efforts and successes.

-Griffin Gardner

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Deanna Whaley <dwhaley at austincc.edu>wrote:

> Suzanne - I just wanted to thank you for mentioning Community Colleges in

> the article. We always seem to be forgotten when someone writes an article

> or speaks at an event. It is usually the proprietary schools or universities

> that are mentioned...which is wonderful if you have the time and the money

> to attend those schools - more time in school = the more you learn. We do

> have an advisory committee of local industry professionals. They are the

> ones that come together each year to advise us what to teach, what are the

> latest skill trends, etc. All of our adjunct who teach our game

> design/art/programming tracks are from the industry. We have an extremely

> successful program here in Austin and all of our courses fill up within the

> first 2 weeks of registration. We have 35+ graduates just this Summer and

> quite a few of them are already working in the industry. It's very difficult

> to teach the students everything they need to know in just 2 years so we are

> very skill specific. The obstacle we face is articulation with 4 year

> institutes. Hopefully we will be able to do that in the future, but most of

> our students are wanting to graduate and start working and gaining

> experience as soon as possible.

> I just wanted you to know that we appreciate you recognizing community

> colleges as a viable place for game industry training. Thank you.

> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Suzanne Freyjadis <

> freyjadis at austin.rr.com> wrote:

>> Hi Amazing Game Edu SIG Members!****

>> ** **

>> There is an article in the Escapist on transitioning into the industry as

>> a lateral career move and how education can help.****

>> ** **

>> I talk about the usefulness of Community Colleges for lateral transitions

>> in the article. Let me know what you think.****

>> ** **

>> http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_311/8963-How-Hard-Can-It-Be

>> ****

>> ** **

>> Best,****

>> Suzanne****

>> ** **

>> *Suzanne Freyjadis*

>> IGDA Edu SIG Co-Chair****

>> Game Education Evangelist****

>> Freyjadis at austin.rr.com****

>> M: 512-619-4151****

>> Twitter: GameEducation****

>> Skype: suzanne.freyjadis****

>> ** **

> --

> Deanna Whaley

> Austin Community College

> Game Development Institute

> Visual Communication Dept.

> 512.223.4830

> dwhaley at austincc.edu

> austincc.edu/viscom

Griffin Gardner
SUPERCYBERS LLC
http://www.linkedin.com/in/griffingardner

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you will help them
become what they are capable of becoming. -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe