[game_edu] Escapist Article

Chelsea Larson-Andrews chelsea at design3.com
Thu Jun 23 17:39:37 EDT 2011

That is wonderful Griffin.

I agree that Community Colleges offer
some of the best video game dev courses out there. My company,
design3.com [12] - a game development training portal, provides training
and resources to almost 50 education institutions implementing game
development programs. We work with a variety of institutions, some of
the most successful programs being at CC's.

Great article, thanks
Suzanne!

My best, Chelsea

Chelsea Larson-Andrews
design3 [13] CMO |
619.277.4988

Follow: @design_3 [14]

Fan: facebook.com/design3 [15]

On
Thu, 23 Jun 2011 12:15:11 -0500, Griffin Gardner wrote:

> Just my 2

cents... I took the Video Game Design course at ACC in 2007, learned SO
much and immediately got hired by Critical Mass Interactive after I got
my certificate. That experience, plus my membership in IGDA, gave me the
basic knowledge, networking opportunities and confidence to reinvent my
life (I am a woman in my 40s, BTW...) I applaude the community college
efforts and successes.

at 10:35 AM, Deanna Whaley wrote:

>> Suzanne - I just wanted to thank

you for mentioning Community Colleges in the article. We always seem to
be forgotten when someone writes an article or speaks at an event. It is
usually the proprietary schools or universities that are
mentioned...which is wonderful if you have the time and the money to
attend those schools - more time in school = the more you learn. We do
have an advisory committee of local industry professionals. They are the
ones that come together each year to advise us what to teach, what are
the latest skill trends, etc. All of our adjunct who teach our game
design/art/programming tracks are from the industry. We have an
extremely successful program here in Austin and all of our courses fill
up within the first 2 weeks of registration. We have 35+ graduates just
this Summer and quite a few of them are already working in the industry.
It's very difficult to teach the students everything they need to know
in just 2 years so we are very skill specific. The obstacle we face is
articulation with 4 year institutes. Hopefully we will be able to do
that in the future, but most of our students are wanting to graduate and
start working and gaining experience as soon as possible.

>> I just

wanted you to know that we appreciate you recognizing community colleges
as a viable place for game industry training. Thank you.

Jun 23, 2011 at 10:12 AM, Suzanne Freyjadis wrote:

>>> Hi Amazing

Game Edu SIG Members!

>>> There is an article in the Escapist on

transitioning into the industry as a lateral career move and how
education can help.

>>> I talk about the usefulness of Community

Colleges for lateral transitions in the article. Let me know what you
think.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/issues/issue_311/8963-How-Hard-Can-It-Be
[1]

>>> Best,

>>> Suzanne

Freyjadis at austin.rr.com [2]

>>> M: 512-619-4151

>>> Twitter:

GameEducation

>>> Skype: suzanne.freyjadis

>>> game_edu mailing

list

>>> game_edu at igda.org [3]

>> --

>> Deanna Whaley

>> Austin Community College

>> Game Development

Institute

dwhaley at austincc.edu [6]

>> austincc.edu/viscom [7]

>> game_edu mailing

list

>> game_edu at igda.org [8]

> --

Griffin Gardner

http://www.linkedin.com/in/griffingardner [11]

> THOUGHT FOR THE

DAY:

> Treat people as if they were what they ought to be and you will

help them become what they are capable of becoming. -- Johann Wolfgang
Von Goethe

--

Links:
------