[game_edu] question from the community

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 28 12:30:53 EDT 2011

A general question deserves a general answer. First, a student interested in
game dev should figure out what specialties they are interested in (the path to
becoming a game programmer is different from that of the artist or designer, for
example). Then they should research the field and find the necessary skills to
build, then learn and practice those skills. For college, seek a school that is
a good fit to your educational and vocational needs, as well as a culture, size,
location, etc. that's a good fit for your personality. With more specifics on a
particular student's personal goals, I could give more targeted advice.

Don't know where to start?
* Local IGDA chapters (From Lake County, it's not more than a couple hours'
drive to Columbus or Pittsburgh, possibly other closer ones - this is not
unheard of for a meeting that takes place every month or three.)
* Accessible game authoring tools (Scratch, Kodu, Game Salad, Game Maker, etc.)
* Game dev classes, student clubs or organizations at your high school or at a
nearby college or university, if there are any
* Events like Global Game Jam or Ludum Dare that force you to get off your butt
and make a frigging game already :)
* Shameless plug: Brenda and I just released a book on careers in the game
industry that answers questions about school and what to do there, among many
other things:
http://www.amazon.com/Breaking-Into-Game-Industry-Successful/dp/1435458044/

- Ian