[game_edu] question from the community

pawlicki at cs.rochester.edu pawlicki at cs.rochester.edu
Tue Jun 28 13:00:30 EDT 2011

Ryan,

Please encourage your students to investigate Computer Science as a
course of study to pursue in college. If they are already able to develop
on line games, it is highly likely that they have the necessary skills to
succeed in a formal Computer Science program. (It's a great field anyway,
with lots of opportunity for creative expression even beyond gaming.)

To prepare before college, I would first encourage them to develop thier
own games. It's a great way to pursue one's passion and develop solid
technical skills.

Game development requires skills in the humanities as well as in
technical fields. I would encourage your students to read and write
about games to develop these skills. Have them read critical reviews
of games. Have them write their own reviews of games. I see a lot of
technically accomplished students who need to develop the ability to
communicate about games. Developing writing skills will help in any
fields.

Games are also art. Having skills in these areas of music and visual
arts are useful for life. They don't have to become professional musicians
or artists to learn and develop an appreciation for these areas. (They
don't have to have "talent" to practice drawing or playing an instrument.)

Games are also a business. If they learn some accounting, budgeting,
and basic project planning it will help them in life. You would be
amazed at how many college fresh-persons get high SAT scores, but
don't know how to balance a checkbook. Have them plan and run a LAN-party
or a picnic for the school or other events to promote their interest
in games.

All these things will help them develop good skills regardless of where
they end up.

And please have them investigate Computer Science - we all know that
it's the best college major in the world ;)

TFP

Thaddeus F. Pawlicki, Ph.D.
Undergraduate Program Director
Computer Science Dept. (585) 275-4198
University of Rochester FAX (585) 273-4556
Rochester, NY 14627-0226 pawlicki at cs.rochester.edu
http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/pawlicki/

''One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may
despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out
of touch with their instinctive selves.'' - Carl Jung 1977