[game_edu] question from the community

Jim Parker jparker at ucalgary.ca
Tue Jun 28 23:31:10 EDT 2011

Interesting

As one who taught Computer Science fot 26 years, and created the game
programming course and concentration in my department, I found that CS
was a discouraging and negative place to try and work on games. I
finally gave up and moved to the drama and art departments.

There are many ways they were negative, in the face of evidence that
they were mistaken, but the most telling statement was from a theory of
computation person who said that offering courses on games 'sent the
wrong message'. Not sure what that message was, but perhaps it was
'computer science can be fun and interesting'.

My opinion is that it very strongly depends on the school and the
department, and a CS degree is not always (or even often) the best
route. When putting the course together, it became clear that the
programmers on a game development team had the least creative
contribution, often limited to statements like 'we can't draw that many
polygons per second'.

Nowadays the tools available have reduced the need for programming quite
a bit. When I started this work in 1999 there were about 6-7 programmers
on a team of 10 on a development group. Now its more like 2-3. The game
engines and physics packages have really helped, and now we can say ' I
want to do this' and not have to express it in code all of the time. The
tools can do it, and the programmers can easily link those into the game.

In that sense game development has become much more democratic. Creative
people can now create prototypes even, and that is quite helpful in
demoing mechanics. My art students can now build games in weeks that
used to be a whole semester in CS.

Encouragement comes in many forms - mine would be that you don't have to
be a computer science major to develop games, and it's not even an
advantage in many cases. The Nike rule 'Just Do it' would be my offering
to them. Build a portfolio, work with programmers and artists and
designers, and take a degree in a creative subject. Get a masters would
be good advice.

Jim