[game_edu] question from the community

pawlicki at cs.rochester.edu pawlicki at cs.rochester.edu
Wed Jun 29 01:09:56 EDT 2011

Shannon,

You make some good points . . . . but . . .

> I do believe a CS degree can be the things in the list, I don't think it's

> a guarantee.

Yes, . . . . but . . . no degree, in any field comes with a guarantee.

> I seen many a person go through CS who had

> others solve the harder problems. The hardest part is not the code

> but the creative solution and in a class full of students a handful find

> the solution and before long by word of mouth the rest of the class

> has found out about or perhaps googled it.

Yes, . . . I've seen that to . . . but . .
we call it "cheating". If people cheat on assignments
rather than do the work, of course they don't learn or grow.
Again, it's the same in any field.

> I can't recall anyone calling me a "well rounded individual because

> I have a CS degree. I have been called a geek though.

But what is is the truth? Your formal training is in physics and
you are persuing a degree in Computer Science. Are you narrow and
uncreative? Or, do you consider yourself well-rounded and creative?
Are you persuing a CS degree because you believe it is where boring,
narrow and uncreative people like you belong? Or is it exactly the
opposite - are you in CS because it empowers your creative expression
in a way that traditional fine arts studies cannot?
What people call you dose not make you what you are.
Tell us - which is it?

Again - no offense.

Ted