[game_edu] question from the community

Shannon Jaeger sdjaeger at ucalgary.ca
Wed Jun 29 00:41:59 EDT 2011

Hi Ted,

Not all computing jobs are equal. Help desk support isn't high
on my list, yet this is where some CS start. I knew a person who
changed paper in printers all day long in a co-op position. I don't think
these jobs fit the "Top Reasons to Major in Computer Science Programs
In America" list you give

I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that those in the CS field have
the highest number of unpaid overtime hours, so while it may pay well,
how many hours are people putting in.

Having a CS degree doesn't help you develop your ability to solve
problems, you do. I seen many a person go through CS who had
others solve the harder problems. The hardest part is not the code
but the creative solution and in a class full of students a handful find
the solution and before long by word of mouth the rest of the class
has found out about or perhaps googled it.

I can't recall anyone calling me a "well rounded individual because
I have a CS degree. I have been called a geek though. That is as a
an odd one. I can see my CS degree helping me get a management
job, in fact my experience is it doesn't even help me get a project
management job without prior experience managing a project.

Like all careers their are good points and not so good points and not
all degree holders are equal there is a wide range of competencies. It
really depends on those at the particular institution and the culture they
create.

I do believe a CS degree can be the things in the list, I don't think it's
a guarantee.

Cheers,

Shannon