[game_edu] Brenda Braithwaite's game_edu rant at GDC

Grace, Lindsay Mr. gracel at muohio.edu
Thu Mar 3 14:53:35 EST 2011

To push your metaphor a bit-do you need to be a mechanic to design cars, because I'd argue that having specific programming skill is more similar to the work of a mechanic than an engineer. Mechanics know plenty about what's under the hood.

I don't think you need programming skills, I think you need formal logic skills coupled with creativity. If you close the door on non-programmers, you're losing an opportunity.

Sent from my iPhone

Lindsay Grace
LGrace.com

On Mar 3, 2011, at 11:37 AM, "pawlicki at cs.rochester.edu" <pawlicki at cs.rochester.edu> wrote:

> Consider:

> Do you need to be an engineer to design a sports car?

> I think that you do. Sure sports cars are "fun". You can't

> design a sports car without understand issues of art, style,

> and the psychology of interaction with the machine and

> technology. Nonetheless, you need to be an engineer to

> design a car because you have to understand how the technology

> "under the hood" determines the user experience. The two

> are not separable.

> Likewise, and for the same reasons, you need to be an engineer

> to design a game. The technology is not separate from the

> user experience.

> Ted Pawlicki

> Department of Computer Science

> Hajim School of Engineering

> Univerisity of Rochester

>> 'Good', yes. But there are inferences in what you are saying that I'd

>> like to clarify.

>> You are describing the process as a solo one. I think that's not usual,

>> and the role of the designer in the development team is not one that

>> involves programming (at least not necessarily). Programming is not a

>> big part of the design phase at all IMO, and only once one has a clear

>> design concept can you really build anything, then iterate it. Assuming

>> that the designer holds the game in their hands until it solidifies into

>> a playable is not something I personally would do.

>> JP

>> On 3/3/2011 11:10 AM, Seth Sivak wrote:

>>> I think it is good for designers to be able to code. They do not need

>>> to be "engineers" but be able to code enough to prototype their own

>>> designs. As soon as you add in another person the iteration loop gets

>>> much longer, and the longer the loop the fewer iterations that can be

>>> completed. Once the game is out of the design phase and more into

>>> production the game design role becomes more about problem solving

>>> than pure creativity, so at that point it is fine to no longer code

>>> and let pure engineers create the production level stuff.

>>> Seth

>>> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 12:53 PM, jparker <jparker at ucalgary.ca

>>> <mailto:jparker at ucalgary.ca>> wrote:

>>> Interesting rant, and she certainly has credentials.

>>> Still, I don't think that game designers are necessarily excellent

>>> programmers. They need to understand limits and possibilities, and

>>> to be able to communicate well with programmers. Game design is

>>> not a programming task, and game development is not a software

>>> business. It's a business that does involve software to be sure.

>>> Computer science programs (in my observation over only the past 12

>>> years) produce relatively poor game designers, as their focus is

>>> rather different than that of most design fields. It makes as much

>>> sense that a CS major could design a good chair or house as design

>>> a good game. And in fact, the game programmers on a team

>>> traditionally have relatively little input to the creative process

>>> (again, there are certainly exceptions, and things are changing in

>>> some places).

>>> If a game designer has a vast knowledge of programming that could

>>> be a good thing. I don't believe it to be a requirement. Thus the

>>> question is 'is it worth the time needed to become an excellent

>>> programmer'? That's hard to answer with authority.

>>> Jim

>>> http://bbrathwaite.wordpress.com/2011/03/01/built-on-a-foundation-of-code-game-edu-rant/

>>> Peter Border

>>> Game and Application Design Chairman

>>> Globe University/Minnesota School of Business

>>> 1401 West 76th St

>>> Richfield, MN 55423

>>> pborder at msbcollege.edu <mailto:pborder at msbcollege.edu>

>>> game_edu mailing list

>>> game_edu at igda.org <mailto:game_edu at igda.org>

>>> --

>>> From Hauptmann

>>> The inflated style is itself a kind of euphemism. A mass of Latin

>>> words falls upon the facts like soft snow, blurring the outlines and

>>> covering up all the details. The great enemy of clear language is

>>> insincerity. —George Orwell

>>> Dr. J. R. Parker, Digital Media Laboratory