[game_edu] Brenda Braithwaite's game_edu rant at GDC

Anthony Hart-Jones tony at dragonstalon.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 06:13:51 EST 2011

On 04/03/11 05:41, pawlicki at cs.rochester.edu wrote:

> If you don't understand a compression ratio or

> the concept of a torque converter, then can you really design sports

> cars? If you don't understand how a camera works, can you really be a

> director? Similarly, if you don't understand how the digital information

> machine works, then can you really design a digital game? (Or any

> useful application?) I honestly don't think so

Well... As a former artistic director in the theatre... Knowing how
a camera works is useful, but I was always told that having a decent
Director of Photography is better. Theatre directing gives many skills
transferable to film, but there are people whose entire purpose is to
help you realise your vision. I was a dabbler, a dilettante, but that
never held me back when talking to film directors.
Even working in the games industry, I found that I never had to talk
to the artists in terms of explicit camera-angles, merely in themes and
broad strokes because they knew their jobs well enough to advise me on
what they felt would work best. I say 'peep-hole' and they already have
'fish-eye lens, appropriate colour distortion, 1.5m camera-height'
running through their minds.

On 04/03/11 07:27, Stephen Jacobs wrote:

> Any member of a multidisciplinary team is a stronger member if they've walked a mile in the other members' shoes. Ideally game designers will have had some programming, writing, art/modeling/animation experience so they have an experiential understanding of the needs, processes, constraints, roles, etc of the other team members and can " sketch" what they want from the other members using their vocabulary and/or tools.

This, I will give you. The primary role of a games designer is that
of a technical-writer / translator. Forget 'bright ideas' and
'game-mechanics' - unless you are Peter Molyneux, you might spend about
10% of a development cycle working on the creative stuff and the rest
either explaining it to other people or implementing it yourself with
whatever scripting language the Head of Tech has implemented.

There will be top-level (dumbed down for management) overviews of
every system and mechanic with pretty pictures. There will be explicit
documentation for the external designers and more technically-minded
producers. There will be asset-lists for the artists. There will be at
least one TDD that explains how the systems work, often with UML and
other technical details. There will be walkthroughs for each major
build (one simple one for the publisher, one in-depth for the testers)
and every single testing-phase build. There will be instruction manuals
explaining all controls, every customisable feature, every mechanic.

Oh, and after that, there is the GDD...

I don't know about other designers, but I studied a dedicated
games-development Software Engineering degree. By the end of it, I
could make art assets, create a DirectX-based engine from scratch and
design games. In fact, that was what half of us did; we built a game
from scratch on our own.
Even with that degree, I struggled at times to communicate ideas to
the programmers. Quite often, I would see them 'improving' the design
on their own initiative to match the engine's limitations and then
getting the lead designer to 'fix' the GDD so it matched the current
build. Some of it was the design team's lack of technical knowledge,
but I think there are also issues with programmers being unable to
communicate technical constraints to the designers.

Yes, I think teaching programming helps, but half of what a
programmer knows about making games, they learn in the first few months
with a development studio. Yes, it will help you to pick up scripting
languages if you already have programming experience, but I have also
seen what happens when you try teaching Python to a C++ user.

My big issue, and the rant that started this doesn't seem to help
much, is that too many people think games-design is easy.

When was the last time you saw a CEO edit the art-team's models?

When did you last catch a producer editing the source code?

On the other hand, how many of us have ever worked on a game where
they didn't have half a dozen people from outside the design team trying
to 'help' with the design? As a writer, it is even worse; there seems
to be no member of a development team who does not think they can
improve a script.

Designers would benefit from seeing how the other teams work, but the
other teams would probably benefit from a crash-course in design theory too.