[game_edu] Brenda Braithwaite's game_edu rant at GDC

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 8 10:57:50 EST 2011

I agree that it's "computational thinking" more than computer science which is
key here. (And yes, designers should also understand something of art, audio,
QA, etc., but design is most strongly linked to code since it is code that
implements the design.) Maybe that's the key: how to teach computational
thinking before you teach actual programming?

This is the problem I've run into whenever considering a game programming
textbook or class. Learning programming is "hard fun" which means it is in
danger of crossing the line to "frustrating to the point of giving up forever."
If it were made into a game, it would be like an old-school puzzle-based
adventure game, where you have to know what to do in order to proceed, and if
you can't solve a given puzzle then you're stuck forever.

Except in a way, it's worse than adventure games, because you can't just look up
the answer on GameFAQs. Even if I give you, say, a programming challenge that
forces you to use 1d arrays... even if you "cheat" by looking up the correct
source code to fulfill the requirements of that challenge, it won't really help
you when we get to 2d arrays. You can't just memorize a puzzle solution, you
have to really grok the concept.

The most success I've had in teaching programming, is when I am interacting with
students directly one-on-one. There are a seemingly infinite number of ways that
students can misconceptualize a programming concept, so I have to sit there with
them and do some puzzle-solving of my own, figuring out where their reasoning is
flawed and then draw them over to a better way of thinking about a problem. This
is hard, it's time-consuming, and (most importantly) it doesn't scale. I can't
put myself in a book or a blog post. So coming up with a learn-it-yourself
programming resource is an unsolved problem to me. (Even Brenda, as much as she
might like the programming book she's working through, has John there to help if
she gets stuck.)

The more I think about it, I feel like computational thinking is a necessary
21st-century literacy skill, and that a student that reaches the college level
without it is going to have a very hard time to begin with. Maybe the solution
is to push this requirement down to the grade-school level, and start tightening
admissions requirements accordingly. That doesn't solve the problem so much as
it passes the buck to someone else, admittedly.

Has anyone else out there found a way around this when teaching programming,
some method or resource that lets students get past the stuck-points of learning
core programming concepts on their own without needing a human mentor to walk
them through? If so, how did you do it?

- Ian