[game_edu] Brenda Braithwaite's game_edu rant at GDC

Simon Etienne Rozner infonaut at gameonaut.com
Tue Mar 8 11:19:47 EST 2011

Admittedly I struggle along the same lines as Ian. Sitting down one on one has slowly become a common activity for me. I try to adress the problems I identify in the next class and program examples in class together with the students. This really only works in small groups though, less that 10 to 12.

The only consolation I have is that I see more and more the same difficulties all the students have on a foundational level. That is being able to plan an implementation in regards to the quirks and difficulties the chosen plarforms have. We often work with Actionscript nowadays, but there are some quirks to it that are difficult to get students to understand by just explaining it. Such as precedence of code that is executed via multiple enter frame loops. How to structure your code accordingly and what is good practice abd what isn't so you don't get strage results is driving my students mad. I found no book that deals with that, and had to learn that myself the hard way. I cover it, but students still fall into the traps. It is like Ian said, not a thing where you can go and look at a gameFAQ equivalent.

I would love to find a way that makes the students lifes easier and my teaching more efficient by being able to avoid the endless one on one sessions.