[game_edu] Brenda Braithwaite's game_edu rant at GDC

Bill Crosbie bill.crosbie at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 11:32:56 EST 2011

On this front, I try to tell my students that becoming a good programmer is
learning to recognize the patterns of errors thrown at you by the compiler,
or to recognize the behaviors of errors in logic.

Too often my students get an error on compilation and then rush back to the
editor to look at the code WITHOUT READING THE ERROR MESSAGE.

I can understand this behavior. Compiler messages are often not helpful
until you understand that the compiler only gives a best guess at the error.
Trying to get my students to slow down, read the message, make a guess as to
why that message was thrown and then my explaining to them why the compiler
couldn't give them a description of the true problem has had some success.
The thing is, you can't really learn this from a book. It's about building
up a sufficient mental database of errors and understanding the way a
computer processes source code so you can make intelligent guesses as to the
cause.

This chapter from How People Learn has informed my thinking on the topic.
It's probably worth a quick read. It's completely available online.
http://www.nap.edu/openbook.php?record_id=9853&page=31

And as Simon points out, there are some similarities but some will be
particular to the platform you are developing for...

Any comments on how you deal with this kind of instruction?

bill