[game_edu] Brenda Braithwaite's game_edu rant at GDC

Jim Parker jparker at ucalgary.ca
Tue Mar 8 13:01:51 EST 2011

Hi all

I have recently designed and taught a course called 'Programming for
Artists'. It was a fascinating experience, because I have traditionally
taught computer science students and engineers - people with a math
background. My former peers could not see how to do this without 'math',
and that's part of the problem.

Anyhow, it's certain that I have not solved the problem but I'm making
steps and its entertaining too. For example, the first assignment (in a
first programming course) was Pong. Everyone handed it in, they all
worked. I start by using GameMaker, illustrate basic programming ideas
and get to scripting - then we move to Processing and finish the course
that way. All assignments have an interactive component of some sort.

My first set of lectures can be found at
http://people.ucalgary.ca/~jparker/art315/schedule.html as Powerpoint
files. Of course, some of the associated files are not there (videos,
audio files), but you'll get the idea.

Jim