[game_edu] Brenda Braithwaite's game_edu rant at GDC

Steve Graham skudge at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 14:31:13 EST 2011

As an adjunct to Ian's comment, I'd like question whether moving from
Python to UnrealScript may be a good plan.

Python is a widely used, standard language applied in a huge variety of
programming projects. There are a *lot* of Python developers out there.
There are a *lot* of tools and utilities for working with Python
available. There are lots of educational resources for Python (both in
class and self-study). Considered strictly on its merits as a
programming language, it is well-design, coherent, and powerful.

Proprietary programming/scripting languages are generally a bad idea.
They tend to be poorly designed, poorly implemented, with limited use,
while tools, utilities, and libraries for them are few and far between.
They are subject to the whims of the particular company providing them.
This is, from complaints I've heard, a widely held and expressed
opinion. Language design and implementation is *hard* to do well --
there is little, if any, reason to suppose that a company whose primary
focus is elsewhere would do it well.

With your goal of enhancing their portfolio projects, I would suggest
teaching Python (and make sure to cover/emphasize those parts which
overlap most with UnrealScript) and then, somewhere, add in a day or two
of lectures about "UnrealScript for Python developers" -- preferably
immediately before or just as they start to work with UDK.

Alternatively, using a game engine which relies on a standard scripting
language might be an alternative. That said, we do use UDK for some
projects here, so I don't mean to single it out.

cheers,
skg

On 3/9/2011 10:09 AM, Ian Schreiber wrote:

> Out of curiosity - not that I have anything against the awesome people

> at Epic - I'm not sure I fully understand the move from Python. The

> only time I've ever used Python was with the (free, open-source)

> PyGame library, which enables the creation of actual games. Were you

> not using that, and if not, what exactly were your students doing in

> Python if not using it to make games? (I mean, I'm totally on board

> with the idea of having students make games, so I would consider any

> class where they *weren't* doing that to stick out like a sore thumb.)

steve graham
associate professor
computer game design
dakota state university