[game_edu] Brenda Braithwaite's game_edu rant at GDC

Dan danc at narrativedesigns.com
Thu Mar 10 05:00:28 EST 2011

I think there are a couple of things in play here. One is the art-oriented
focus of the program and, while we have success in the building of a
foundation of programming for the students, it's not always second-nature to
them, It basically becomes a breadth vs depth question. Still, the final
project for the second quarter of scripting is the building of a game in
PyGames and the students enjoy this. While most of the work I've seen come
out of this class are 2D app-like games (mouse in a maze, breakout clones,
platformers) , and often not completely original, they do exposes the
students to project management and working through design concepts, but.

.there is a concerned that the 3d-art students are presenting are lacking a
WOW factor and their Python projects often aren't portfolios pieces. The
plan is to expand the time the students have to work on their 3D
environments and characters with UDK seeming to be a better showcase for
those.

I also think that it's a familiarity issue with some of the instructors.
Once the students leave the python class, none of their remaining classes
have instructors familiar with Python, and therefore the artists would be on
their own when implementing a Python script into any of their work going
forward. Ironically, Python was originally chosen since it's supported in
Maya, but the instructors for scripting haven't been familiar enough with
modeling software, and the modeling teachers haven't been familiar enough
with scripting, for either one to take advantage of that.

All that said, I'm not all that familiar with the scripting in UDK. Has
anyone used both that and Pygames? What approaches to teaching seem more
suitable for each of them? Would the fact that the audience is made up of
artists make a difference in those approaches?

In regards to app class, I'm of a similar mind, Ian. There's some pressure
to make sure the students have a mobile app by the time they graduate (I'm
pushing for expanding it to mobile or console since both Unity and XNA take
C# scripting) but that's far from a bad thing. As long as we get that done,
it's looking like we might have quite a bit of freedom in determining what
the exact points of emphasize are.

--dan

_____