[game_edu] More info on the tech art video archive

Bill Crosbie bill.crosbie at gmail.com
Wed Mar 16 16:31:19 EDT 2011

It occurred to me that you may be too busy to watch over 2 hours of video
today, but are still interested in sampling the project. Here is a list of
the questions addressed:

Questions for tech artists :
http://blender.rutgers.edu/~bcrosbie/gdc11/questions.html

1. Please introduce yourself and what company you are with
2. When did you first realize that you were morphing in to a technical
artist from your original role?
3. Can you provide an example from a project you worked on that required
your specific skills as a technical artist to solve?
4. Did you come to a TA role from the art or programming side of
development?
5. How much and what kind of self directed learning did becoming an
effective TA involve?
6. What types of mathematics do you regularly use in your job? (not
courses, specific mathematical concepts)
7. What esoteric mathematics have you had to teach yourself (if anything)
8. What low level technical concepts did you have to grok to become an
effective TA? (shaders, graphics pipeline, mesh optimization... are these
the types of examples that are useful?)
9. What artistic principles did you need to grok to become an effective
TA? (was thinking if someone went from programming to art...)
10. If there was one thing you could tell academics about the role of a
TA, what would it be?
11. Is there anything else you want to tell me (fill the rest of memory
if you want to...)

Videos: at http://www.youtube.com/opcode6

If you watched one or more videos - I'd love to hear what you think. Either
comment on the video page or share back to the mailing list.

Thanks