[game_edu] reasons TO teach game dev (was Re: an undetermined number of reasons NOT to teach game dev)

George D. Phillies phillies at WPI.EDU
Tue Nov 22 17:46:03 EST 2011

I teach a course in game design. Students start at ground zero on day 1,
and after a 7-week course (our students take three intensive courses at a
time) they deliver a thoroughly playtested playable game. Most sudents
seem to like it, though tuning the work load has been very difficult. I
really do get across how to playtest, etc.

Of course, I cheat.

I isolate 'the game' from peripheral issues, like software and art.

How?

I teach a course on designing +board+ games.

There are no software issues, because there is no software, not even
powerpoint slides in presentations. There are rather limited art issues
relative to making animations, and 'all hand drawn' is fine. The student
who used CAD/CAM tools and a digital milling machine to make astonishing
components earned his "A".

The course is part of our Interactive Media and Game Development program.
All students on the art and technical tracks are required to take some art
courses, and some software courses. Incidentally, we have historically
been an engineering/tech school, and expected the art track might have a
rare student in it--the art track is quite popular.

To do this, I had to write the two textbooks (with Tom Vasel). You can
find them on Amazon. Search "George Phillies on books". I hope to record
the lectures next term and get them up on YouTube. Search "George Phillies
Lectures".

George Phillies

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011, Steve Graham wrote:

> [...]

>> to develop games you need strong skills in Computer Science, but

>> also in media studies (which is in our English department), Studio

>> Art& Art History, Music, and Business. (Wow - just like what we

>> used to call "a well rounded liberal education" - surprise!).

>> I help them put together a four year plan that emphasized their

>> personal strength, but informs them in the other areas. (And of

>> course, they need to build games as projects.) They wind up as well

>> prepared for the video game industry as a formal education can get them,

>> but they also are ready for other career choices. They get a real general

>> education, not a "game specific" education. So, the second reason not

>> to teach game development is that it's too narrow a topic for a good

>> formal education.

> I guess it's all in how you package it. While our degree says "Computer Game

> Design" on the box, it is, as you suggest "a well rounded liberal education"

> that is also rigorous and includes an emphasis in a particular area

> (graphics, software, narrative) worked out as a personalized program of

> study. Along with that we have an ongoing theme of "soft skills" --

> communication, teamwork, and problem solving -- which pervade our game design

> coursework.

> Structured this way, it is neither too narrow for a good formal education,

> nor too narrow for wide applicability in many industries.

> I put this strongly in the category of "Reasons TO teach game dev".

> When I'm advising students about their general education requirements, I

> always delight in the fact that virtually anything (and everything) can be

> relevant! psychology, sociology, history, geography, economics, political

> science, literature, theater, music, physics, mathematics, writing, speech,

> cheers,

> skg

>> Yours,

>> Ted

>> Thaddeus F. Pawlicki, Ph.D.

>> Undergraduate Program Director

>> Computer Science Dept. (585) 275-4198

>> University of Rochester FAX (585) 273-4556

>> Rochester, NY 14627-0226 pawlicki at cs.rochester.edu

>> http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/pawlicki/

>> ''One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may

>> despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out

>> of touch with their instinctive selves.'' - Carl Jung 1977

>>> Ian, several on your list are already in the first draft! Not worded in

>>> quite the same way, but really good to know others are on the same

>>> wavelength as me!

>>> This is going to be for #altdevblogaday and I normally just write from the

>>> hip, but my confidence took a beating last post, when I got savaged in the

>>> comments section. So thanks for the sounding board of suggestions, as I

>>> feel I'm on the right track. Yes, these lists are generalisations, but

>>> like all stereotypes the underlying truth often needs airing to be truly

>>> scrutinised.

>>> Mike