[game_edu] Game Suggestions

Dan Carreker danc at narrativedesigns.com
Tue Oct 18 16:39:53 EDT 2011

I give a weekly game to play in my game design course. They are all
available on the internet for free.

War

Mancala

Parcheesi

Blackjack

Monopoly

Poker

Risk

Chess

Settlers of Catan

Magic the Gathering

Obviously Blackjack and Poker are at non-gambling sites. For M:TG I use
Wizards of the Coast's online tutorial (though, if you can, bringing in a
deck for them to play wouldn't be a bad idea.) The other ones can be found
pretty easy, though you might have to use a "clone" for Risk and Settlers.
Each week the student discusses the game assigned and then I introduce a new
concept related to that (War turns to a discussion on the importance of
choice, Mancala introduces optimal paths, etc.)

We also use League of Legends as a common reference throughout the quarter.
Students are required to downloads the game and play several games each week
(either PVP or against the AI) during the first half of the term. We use LoL
because it's entirely free (a major consideration) as well as having most
elements that would be discussed in a game design class. This makes it
simpler to discuss any particular aspect of game design since it gives all
students at least one common point of reference.

The card game Fluxx that Alex recommends would also be a great one to
include, but can be difficult to locate. I'd also suggest the board game
Zombies!!! but it doesn't lend itself to the non-violent condition you
listed.

--Dan Carreker

_____