[game_edu] Implications of students going into a male-dominated industry?

Jim Parker jparker at ucalgary.ca
Sun Sep 18 15:50:26 EDT 2011

Wow, way too long indeed. But many chords struck to be sure.

First: I have degrees in math and in computer science. It's not game
development, but has similar troubles. CS has an awful reputation for
encouraging females. Our program is usually under 10% female (worse than
engineering here). A lot of lip service is paid to encouraging women,
but when it comes down to it no progress is made.

The environment is toxic.

The men in the subject are permitted to make it so; overt sexism is not
allowed, but subtle forms abound and are ignored. I have seen women in
the classrooms not called on for questions, paired with men in labs
(can't do their own?) etc. Official schemes, like giving female grad
students extra funding when paired with a female supervisor, seem just
silly to me. Why do my female students get less?

My senior game design class was 1/2 female, and half of my own students
were female too. Why? I treat them the same as everyone else, and assume
they are as smart as everyone else. There's no secret.

There was a theory researched by some psyc researchers at my school
that the problem with fewer women entering math at University was their
*moms*, not their dads. Fathers were OK. Moms had no role models to look
at and discouraged their daughters from the subject (and others). Could be.

Nearly half of players are women, so there's a huge market out there. My
daughter is an automotive service tech (mechanic, I suppose). Her plan
is to start a shop with all women techs. Not a bad idea for her;
companies that design games for the female audience could be huge too,
and could employ many of the female developers.

Jim