[game_edu] Implications of students going into a male-dominatedindustry?

Dan Carreker danc at narrativedesigns.com
Mon Sep 19 16:52:27 EDT 2011

Unfortunately, we don't have a class devoted to this. There is one week in
Intro to Game Design that deals with designing games with cultural
differences in mind, but as far as I know, that's the only laid out portion
of the curriculum that specifically deals with diversity in games. As of
right now, the classes that deal with ethics, sociology, and career planning
are general in nature and group together students from multiple disciplines.

What I have done with my Intro to PC for Games class (which focuses on
software such as MS Office) is create assignments that deal with diversity,
particularly as research projects that focus on game developers who come
from minority groups or who have disabilities.

--Dan Carreker

_____