[game_edu] GDC with Students

McGill, Monica mmcgill at bumail.bradley.edu
Wed Sep 21 11:02:09 EDT 2011

I plan on taking a small group of students (no more than 8) to GDC for the
first time in March. We are obviously very carefully watching our budget. If
we can get our costs down, I'm sure we could get close to having 8 students
attend. If not, only 2 or 3 may be able to commit to this important
experience.

We plan on arriving on Tuesday and leaving on Saturday, giving students 3
full days of activities. I'm looking for advice on the following:

1) Nearby hotels. Hotels within safe walking distance that only cost an arm,
not necessarily an arm and a leg!!! Due to costs, at this point I am opting
to have students 4 to a room, one room would be for male students and the
other for females. I'm open to other suggestions to cut down on costs.

2) Inexpensive food options for students.

3) Help with registration costs, other than the early bird registration.

4) High-impact fundraising ideas that students can engage in now to raise
money for the trip.

5) Any advice from people who have taken students before. (What are the must
do's for those three days for them? Any issues or problems that you've
experienced that might help me prepare better? Etc.)

6) Anything else you can think of!

Feel free to post here or reply directly to me and I would be happy to
summarize all replies and repost.

Thanks in advance!

Monica