[game_edu] What are we doing right that brings in female developers?

Gregory Walek gwalek at ccsnh.edu
Wed Sep 21 12:27:11 EDT 2011

So far, we've been focused on what is wrong. A few spots here and there on what we can do to improve the situation. And to be honest, the discussion can get very depressing. I'm not dismissing the issue here, I'm changing the question to flip the discussion on its head. What are we doing right that brings in female developers?

What Kim alludes to is the fact LARP'ing is a social activity. When you take part in a LARP event, you're getting out of the house and dealing with other people. In the digital side, the LARP is equivalent of an MMO. The model holds up here as well. (( if you look at recent information from CCP, they're taking the analogy to heart with the upcoming World of Darkness Online. )) This is one of the keys to which separates the sub-par MMO with a successful one. We can leave the issue of gender bending in MMO to the aside as it's an artifact of gameplay and not a result of the topic at hand. The numbers may not be equal, they're much better than you'd expect.

Another area is social gamming. I have no hard data to back this up. But it's hard to discount when my Mother and Aunts who have traditionally looked at not as gamers are eating up the latest game on Facebook. To push the issue harder, I provide the fact that I only started playing Farmville only because my wife was already playing it. (I stopped because I broke out Excel as a game aid, but that's another issue)

Why am I highlighting this? My though process is simple. If have a group of people playing, there are always those who will want to take the next step forward and create their own games. If we expand this group to have a more noticeably larger female portion, then we should see larger number of females who want to take part in development.

The social \ Let's get more female gamers route is just the first one that comes to mind. There's obvious more area where we are doing thing right. I'm curious to see what others say.