[game_edu] Implications of students going into a male-dominated industry?

Shannon Jaeger sdjaeger at ucalgary.ca
Wed Sep 21 09:11:41 EDT 2011

On 2011-09-21, at 4:24 AM, Anthony Hart-Jones wrote:

> On 20/09/11 23:37, Johnnemann Nordhagen wrote:

>> Just saying "well, it's society's problem" isn't ever going to help solve the issue.

> If anything, I think we have two issues. The deeper pre-existing issues with society, the assumption of girls that STEM subjects are for boys, is the first part of the problem, as it stops girls from seeing the games industry as viable in the first place. Quite simply, girls don't look at our industry because it is full of smelly boys. The industry-specific issues come into play once girls start to show an interest; they play the games and visit the studios, they try to work out where they fit, but they see an environment which is unwelcoming or which treats them as second-class citizens who need special dispensation.

I do think this is a simplification of the issue, nursing is a STEM subject.

As one that has chosen to enter into a male-dominated field because I enjoy what I do and struggled
being the only female in the room I see the issue as even wider spread. The stereotypical qualities
we call "female" are seen as weaker qualities to those normally associated with men.

How many times have I heard from, mostly men, that hiring a young woman who wishes to have
children is a liability, due to mat. leave. Mat leave is not accepted, but it's okay for someone to
spend months in hospital due to an extreme sport injury.

There are barriers and young girls understand these barriers. They understand we live in a world
were it is difficult for them to have a career and a family too, not impossible but difficult and their
are barriers.

Until we live in a world where we accept people for who they are and embrace our difference
there will always be barriers for someone. I can't change an industry, a nation, or the world,
all I can do is be the change I'd like to see and hope that others might be influenced.

Cheers,

Shannon