[game_edu] Online/Offline Qualitative Research How-to's

Tamara Peyton tpeyton at yorku.ca
Thu Sep 22 19:35:06 EDT 2011

I would highly recommend Jim Bizzocchi & Joshua Tanenbaum chapter, "Well
Read: Applying Close Reading Techniques to Gameplay Experiences" in Well
Played 3.0, available online for free as either the chapter:
http://www.etc.cmu.edu/etcpress/content/well-read-jim-bizzocchi-joshua-tanenbaum

Or as a downloadable free ebook:
http://www.feedbooks.com/userbook/21656/well-played-3-0-video-games-value-and-meaning

Tamara Peyton
York University
tpeyton at yorku.ca
@pstamara

wrote:

> > Hi all,

> > I teach an introductory English 102: Inquiry into Videogames and Gaming

> > Cultures and am looking for a couple of good resources for my students

> > read about the process of performing qualitative research in online and

> > offline play spaces. Currently, they're reading a few examples of

> > qualitative research:

> > Bartle - "Hearts, Clubs, Diamonds, Spades: Players Who Suit MUDs"

> > Jones - "Let the Games Begin"

> > Kutner et al. - "Parents Perspectives"

> > Kallio, Mäyrä, and Kaipainen - "At Least Nine Ways to Play" -

> > In past classes, we've discussed the mentioned texts, I've given them

> > handouts with suggested methodologies and said, "Do these things when

you

> > interview, or survey, or observe, or lead a focus group" and I've

modeled

> > example interview questions, we've workshopped student surveys and

simulated

> > a focus group, and so on -- but I would also really like them to read

> > something specifically from the field of game studies, something more

along

> > the lines of a guide for performing qualitative research, both online

and

> > offline. Any suggestions are welcome & much appreciated.

> > Thanks much,

> > RW

> > ------------------

> > Ryan Woldruff

> > HASTAC Scholar

> > Ph.D. Student in English, Fiction Writing

> > University of Tennessee-Knoxville

> > Department of English

> > 311 McClung Tower

> > Knoxville, TN 37996