[game_edu] great game maker games?

Noah Wardrip-Fruin nwf at ucsc.edu
Mon Aug 6 20:03:59 EDT 2012

Hi Katherine -

My introductory course uses Game Maker and I always bring in students from the prior year to demo their games. This gives a sense of scope (they only have six weeks to make their games) and some of the variety of games beginning students can make with GM.

I realize your course is new, so you won't have prior games to use this way. So here are some from my class in case they're useful:

Thrive, which combines RTS and Tower Defense elements with an environmental undertone:
http://games.soe.ucsc.edu/project/thrive

TwoPlayersOneKeyboard, an art game that questions minigame conventions and uses a "dirty" aesthetic:
http://games.soe.ucsc.edu/project/twoplayersonekeyboard2pk1

Utapei, an abstract platformer:
http://games.soe.ucsc.edu/project/utapei

Puff, in which you navigate a drifting dandelion seed:
http://games.soe.ucsc.edu/project/puff

Derpatron 3000, an action puzzler focused on visibility:
http://games.soe.ucsc.edu/project/derpatron-3000

Best,
Noah