[game_edu] The Equal Pay App Challenge

Susan Gold goldfile at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 10:21:30 EST 2012

On behalf of Constance Steinkuehler Squire:

Dear game colleagues and friends,
I wanted to let you know that the U.S. Department of Labor just launched the Equal Pay App Challenge on Challenge.gov . The contest calls on developers to use publicly available data and resources to create innovative, easy-to-use apps that educate users about the pay gap and provide tools to combat it. The apps should improve the accessibility of pay data broken down by gender, race and ethnicity, and provide coaching on early career pay, pay negotiation or career mentorship.

The challenge is being supported by government, technology entrepreneurs, and advocacy groups. It would be wonderful if your community or institution could host a hack-a-thon, where participants could get together and code for a couple of hours towards this good cause. The prizes being offered to potential winners by our partners are fascinating and true game changers for anyone ever wishing to take their product to the next level.

The Equal Pay App Challenge was launched on January 31st, 2012 and will end on March 31st, 2012. It would be great if we could schedule a hack-a-thon anytime between those dates. Additional prize information can be found here: http://equalpay.challenge.gov/

Contact Xavier Hughes, Chief Innovation Officer for the U.S. Department of Labor, at Hughes.Xavier at dol.gov if you are interested in hosting such an event.

Constance Steinkuehler Squire
White House Office of Science and Technology Policy
--
Susan Gold
In a completely sane world, madness is the only freedom!