[game_edu] An article AGAINST pit style offices and other forced group measures?

Sheri Rubin sheri at designdirectdeliver.com
Sun Jan 15 19:54:20 EST 2012

It sure seems so here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/15/opinion/sunday/the-rise-of-the-new-groupthink.htm

"SOLITUDE is out of fashion. Our companies, our schools and our culture
are in thrall to an idea I call the New Groupthink, which holds that
creativity and achievement come from an oddly gregarious place. Most of
us now work in teams, in offices without walls, for managers who prize
people skills above all. Lone geniuses are out. Collaboration is in.

But there’s a problem with this view. Research strongly suggests that
people are more creative when they enjoy privacy and freedom from
interruption. And the most spectacularly creative people in many fields
are often introverted, according to studies by the psychologists Mihaly
Csikszentmihalyi and Gregory Feist. They’re extroverted enough to
exchange and advance ideas, but see themselves as independent and
individualistic. They’re not joiners by nature. "

Highly recommend reading as much of it as you can..
Sheri

P.S. Posted it here mainly due to the recent thread on group projects.

--
*Sheri Rubin*
Founder and CEO

*Design Direct Deliver*