[game_edu] Reading Material for Critical Game Studies course

William Huber whuber at ucsd.edu
Mon Mar 5 16:44:11 EST 2012

Hello,

I teach "critical theory and analysis of games" annually at USC. This
is the syllabus from the most recent iteration:
https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1lJp9v0vL-SqlJZ_reEIcXYtsfmsYYwgWzsXfB4xY4N8

The composition of the class changes: sometimes, it is attended by
students with strong critical theory / cultural history backgrounds
but only passing acquaintance with games, and other times by
interactive media students with less background in critical theory
etc. This year, we built one segment of the course around Pokemon.

For me, the main challenge of the course is to find a compelling
intersection between the concerns of the contemporary humanities and
the stuff of "actually existing" games.

Feel free to email me if you have any questions, suggestions, or
inspirations.

- William

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 11:39 AM, McGill, Monica <mmcgill at bumail.bradley.edu>
wrote:

> Hi,

> Could anyone recommend relevant books or reading materials for

undergraduate

> students for a game studies course? The course will be offered for the

first

> time this fall and is being designed to cover the "Game Criticism" portion

> of the IGDA curriculum framework (Game Studies, Experience-Centered

> Criticism, Consumer-Oriented Criticism, Genre Analysis, Auteur studies,

> Analysis of Game Design).

> I'm also open to any advice from others who have taught this type of

course