[game_edu] 2d vs 3d

Steve Graham skudge at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 16:21:50 EDT 2012

Did you have any resistance to Kodu? I've tried Kodu in class to a very
limited extent and got an unfortunate amount of "that's for kids" from
the students.

I think it's unfortunate since Kodu is such an accessible platform for
3d game making. You can be doing something interesting very quickly.

If you did have resistance, how did you get the students past it?

cheers,
skg

On 3/11/2012 2:44 PM, Allan Fowler wrote:

> Hi Joe,

> Try having a look at using Kodu Game Lab, Alice, or Scratch. These are

> all 3D game development tools and although targeted at a younger

> audience they still provide a very powerful way to learn game design

> concepts. I have used Kodu Game Lab and Game Maker with my first year

> students and the majority (85%) of the students preferred Kodu.

> Kind regards

> Allan Fowler

> Message: 1

> Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 11:16:53 -0800

> From: Joe McNeilly <irisburn at gmail.com <mailto:irisburn at gmail.com>>

> Subject: [game_edu] 2d vs 3d

> To: game_edu at igda.org <mailto:game_edu at igda.org>

> <CAKM_0TP5S77=W_eBNC=tmhs5UE=8orLugRr7fMvnt2p0wtJnvw at mail.gmail.com

> <mailto:CAKM_0TP5S77=W_eBNC=tmhs5UE=8orLugRr7fMvnt2p0wtJnvw at mail.gmail.com>>

> We're launching a Game Design Certificate, and trying to settle a key

> point: whether students should work in 2d or 3d. My feeling is that in a

> 16-20 unit certificate, there's not enough time to do 3d properly and

> students' time would be better spent iterating a 2d project. Thoughts?

steve graham
associate professor
computer game design
dakota state university