[game_edu] Comprehensive Game Production Book

David Wessman wessmaniac at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 19:36:48 EDT 2012

The previously mentioned books are all quite good, but here are some others
to consider:

*Agile Game Development with Scrum* by Clinton Keith, Addison-Wesley
Professional (2010), ISBN-10: 0321618521, ISBN-13: 978-0321618521
- This is an excellent book and the only one to address agile development.

*Team Leadership in the Game Industry* by Seth Spaulding, Course Technology
PTR (2009), ISBN-10: 1598635720, ISBN-13: 978-1598635720
- This is a great book on leadership in the game industry with lots of
case studies and interviews. I encourage all of my students who think they
might want to be a lead someday to read this book.

*The Game Production Handbook, 2e* by Heather Chandler, Jones & Bartlett
Publishers (2008), ISBN-10: 1934015407, ISBN-13: 978-1934015407
- One of the most comprehensive books available on game production, this
may be the closest to what you're looking for. The included disc is full of
example templates.
*
*
*Distributed Game Development: Harnessing Global Talent to Create Winning
Games* by Tim Fields, Focal Press (2010) ISBN-10: 0240812717, ISBN-13:
978-0240812717
- This one addresses an aspect of modern development that is only going to
grow in importance. It also has a lot of good general information about
managing game production.

In several of my upper level project-based courses I don't use a required
textbook, but instead give them this list of books and require that they
choose one. I then have the students give teachbacks on their chosen text
halfway through the semester. That way students can get an idea of what the
other books were about, and they have time to add one or more to their
reading list. Invariably, the teachbacks make the case that ALL of these
books are worth reading!

Best,

David Wessman
Professor of Game Design & Development