[game_edu] GameMaker vs. Scratch

Peter Border pborder at msbcollege.edu
Tue Sep 11 10:44:39 EDT 2012

I've taught both. GameMaker is more game-oriented and has all stuff you need for a game right there (lives, intro screens, cool demos, etc).
Scratch is more programming-oriented and considerably less sexy.

Both work in the classroom.

As usual, which is better depends on the audience and what you're trying to teach.

I think the biggest difference is in getting yr project approved: Scratch has a big MIT sticker on it, which carries a lot more clout, and "game programs" usually need all the clout they can get.

Peter Border
Game and Application Design Chairman
Globe University/Minnesota School of Business
1401 West 76th St
Richfield, MN 55423
pborder at msbcollege.edu