[game_edu] GameMaker vs. Scratch

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 11 11:00:43 EDT 2012

To expand the original question: why only compare these two? Why not also compare with Alice 3D (which I understand is harder to use for games, but easier for animations)? Or Game Salad? Stencyl? Others?

If the goal is to teach programming, why not skip all of these and jump straight to C/C++ and teach them "real" programming already, essentially like teaching them to drive a stick shift so that learning an automatic later is easier? Or if the goal is to give them something that does games out of the box, why not Flash/ActionScript or Python/PyGame or BlitzBasic or Dark Basic?

Or I suppose, another option would be to make ALL of these available and have the students themselves choose one or more to evaluate - which would teach not only the STEM stuff, but also critical thinking and comparative thinking skills. Most of the beginner-level tools come with tutorials so the students should be able to teach themselves (at least in groups), depending on age.

I suppose it all depends on the educational goals and students' current level: getting students comfortable with fundamental programming concepts vs. game design concepts, or just making sure the students make something sufficiently impressive and/or have a fun time so as to generate further interest in the field. All of these are tradeoffs, so I don't think there's necessarily a "right" answer here, just different answers with different strengths/weaknesses.

Another likely consideration though is what tools the teacher is familiar with. GameMaker has been around awhile so it probably has the widest distribution of its peers. Using what you already know is just easier than learning and evaluating something new (which from a teacher's perspective, requires a fair amount of work: you need to be proficient enough to troubleshoot student projects effectively, so there's a bit of inertia to overcome when switching).

- Ian