[game_edu] Game Design Textbooks

George D. Phillies phillies at WPI.EDU
Wed Sep 12 17:14:30 EDT 2012

Tom Vasel and I have now put the second edition of our other textbook on
game design up on Kindle and on Smashwords.com.

Modern Perspectives in Game Design by George Phillies and Tom Vasel, the
second edition of Contemporary Perspectives in Game Design, includes a new
lecture from me on The Six Elements of Game Design*. It also includes a
syllabus for the game design course I teach here at WPI "Design of
Contemporary Strategy Games".

Modern Perspectives joins our earlier second edition "Designing Modern
Strategy Games". Each book includes close to 100 problems, discussion
questions, and design projects.

*Six Elements?

Physical Style
Dominant Mechanism
Mechanisms
Components
Shape
Theme

(and, at 6.5, Voice).

The textbooks are supported by my series of videotaped lectures, now
visible as a playlist on YouTube on the GeorgePhillies Channel.

George Phillies