[game_edu] CfP: "HCI and SPORTS" CHI 2014 Workshop

Florian 'Floyd' Mueller floyd at floydmueller.com
Sun Dec 8 06:00:56 EST 2013

Call for Participation – "HCI and Sports": CHI 2014 workshop

Sports and physical activity is an area where consumer technology is
developing rapidly with GPS watches, heart rate monitors, and apps such as
Runkeeper and Endomondo as the most common examples. Following the overall
trend of research in exercise, motivation, and well-being, the CHI
community is beginning to engage with sports and sports technology, for
example see last year's Special Interest Group at CHI where we all went
jogging together while discussing sports technology. We believe that HCI
has important contributions to make to the design and user experience of
future sports technology. Moreover, we believe that the HCI discipline will
benefit from engaging with sports which present excellent examples of
complex and variable settings where traditional interaction models are not
sufficient.

We invite researchers and practitioners to submit position papers (max 4
pages in the CHI Extended Abstract format). Deadline is 4 Jan 2014. The
workshop focuses on, but is not limited to, four themes: Bodily control and
awareness, sports motivation and fun, pain and discomfort, and current use
and user experience of existing commercial sports technologies. System
development, user studies, ethnographic work, as well as work on methods
for HCI and sports are welcome contributions.

The goal of the workshop is to form a community around sports and HCI and
start a discussion on how HCI can contribute to sports and vice versa.

Workshop Organisers:
Stina Nylander, Mobile Life at SICS, Sweden
Jakob Tholander, Mobile Life at Stockholm University, Sweden
Florian ‘Floyd’ Mueller, Exertion Games Lab, RMIT University, Melbourne,
Australia
Joe Marshall, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK

Submission details:
http://mobilelifecentre.org/content/chi-workshop-hci-and-sports