[game_edu] CfP: CHI 2014 Workshop: Game Jam [4Research]

Florian 'Floyd' Mueller floyd at floydmueller.com
Sun Dec 8 06:26:17 EST 2013

Call for Participation - CHI 2014 Game Jam [4Research]

Workshop at CHI 2014
Toronto, Canada,
April 26 – 27
9.00am – 6.00pm

This hands-on workshop will provide participants with the opportunity to
create a digital game while also engage with research through Game Jam
activities. Participants will collaborate with other academics and
practitioners from the CHI community. This workshops builds on last year's
successful Game Jam workshop, extending it by exploring jamming as a
research method. The research questions we will explore (coming from the
jammers) will provide us with specific challenges to design for.

The workshop has five key goals:

1. Explore jamming as research method
2. Learn this method by doing it (learning by doing)
3. Identify the advantages of this method (rapid, collaborative, ...)
4. Identify the disadvantages (difficult to generalize results, bugs in
prototypes that may hinder any study, ...)
5. Develop a playable game

At the end of the two-day workshop we will share the results with the wider
CHI community to fuel discussions about Game Jams for research.

How to participate
We invite participants form multidisciplinary backgrounds to apply.
Researchers, designers, developers and artists are invited to submit a max
4. page proposal in the Extended Abstract format as per ACM guidelines to
menno.deen at fontys.nl<mailto:menno.deen at fontys.nl> that includes the
following:

1. A position statement (about your opinion of game jams/experience of game
jams/expectations of game jams as a research method/etc)
2. List of skills and expertise
3. Brief biography and a portfolio URL
4. Research question you propose to study during the Game Jam (optional)

Applicants will be selected based on their experience, vision and what they
can contribute to the Game Jam.
Applicants can enlist as a team, but are encouraged to enlist as
individuals to foster new social connections during the workshop.
Applications must be submitted by January 4th 2014. We will notify
successful applicants by February 1st 2014.

Please note: Accepted participants must register for the workshop and at
least one day of the conference

For more info: http://www.gamesjam.nl/about/about-4research-2014-chi/

We are looking forward jamming with you!
Menno, Robert, Alan, Amani, Regina, Allan, Ben and Floyd

Organizers:
Menno Deen, Eindhoven University of Technology, the Netherlands
Robert Cercos, Exertion Games Lab, RMIT University, Australia
Alan Chatham, CMU and Exertion Games Lab, RMIT University, USA and Australia
Amani Naseem, Exertion Games Lab, RMIT University, Australia
Regina Bernhaupt, IRIT, France
Allan Fowler, Waiariki Institute of Technology, New Zealand
Ben Shouten, Eindhoven University of Technology, the Netherlands
Florian 'Floyd' Mueller, Exertion Games Lab, RMIT University, Australia