[game_edu] 2nd CFP: 2nd Workshop on AI in the Game Design Process (with AIIDE)

Gillian Smith gillian at ccs.neu.edu
Wed Jun 19 12:51:00 EDT 2013

Reminder: there are two weeks to go until the submission deadline for our workshop on AI in the Game Design Process (IDPv2).

IDPv2 is one of several workshops being held with the Ninth Annual AAAI Conference on Artificial Intelligence in Interactive Digital Entertainment (AIIDE).

"Game AI" usually brings to mind control of opponents and other characters. However, we are interested in a different way that AI can intersect games—during the design process—and are excited to host a second AIIDE workshop on this topic. How can retrieval, inference, knowledge representation, learning, and search loosen the bottlenecks in the game design process? How can AI be put to use in ideation, prototyping, feedback, visualization, synthesis and verification of designed artifacts (puzzles/missions/maps/mechanics/stories/...)? How can AI provide assistance to game designers and/or share the creative responsibilities in design?

This workshop aims to be true to authentic game design concerns, operating outside of a strictly scientific perspective. Accordingly, input from a practitioner viewpoint (i.e. that of someone who makes game in either a professional or hobby capacity) is greatly valued. We seek deep problems and interesting solutions inspired by active design projects. This year's suggested theme asks participants to reflect on how to provide realtime and interactive feedback to designers.

***Call for Papers***
Deadline: July 3rd, 2013.
Workshop held: October 15th, 2013.
Location: Northeastern University, Boston, Massachusetts, USA.
Website: http://idpv2.cs.washington.edu/

IDP solicits submissions of papers, describing either well-developed research ideas, works in process, or visions for future research directions (page limit: up to 6 pages, with one additional page for references). We especially welcome position papers that aim to expose the implicit goals shared by our design-process-aware community. Accepted papers will be presented at the workshop and archived by AAAI.

We also encourage the submission of demonstrations of research prototypes, fully functioning design tools, and games that required AI in the design process. Demonstrations should be accompanied by a single page (excluding references) description and an optional video.

All papers must be in AAAI format, and should be submitted through the IDP 2013 EasyChair website: https://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=idpv2

As a problem-focused workshop, we welcome technical approaches using a wide variety of AI techniques. We also welcome discussion of new and previously unidentified problems in game design that AI techniques can help solve. Submissions are encouraged (though not required for acceptance) to reflect on the workshop’s theme of real-time and interactive feedback.

Topics appropriate for the workshop include, but are not limited to:

* procedural content generation as it relates to the game design process (e.g. offline, integrated with content pipeline automation)
* intelligent authoring tools (e.g. mixed-initiative construction of complex game content artifacts)
* case studies of novel game designs that are unreachable without AI involved in the design process
* intelligent debugging tools (using reasoning to diagnose complex systems)
* intelligent prototyping tools (removing bottlenecks in exploration process)
* machine creativity in game design (supplementing or surpassing the abilities of human designers)
* player modeling for design tools (capturing assumptions about players)
* design space representations (grammars, constraint programs, etc.)
* understanding emergence in complex designs (search, sampling, visualization, summarization)
* previewing the effects of design choices on gameplay, detecting pathological failures
* automated experimentation in playtesting many alternative designs (parameterized or structural)
* play-level manipulation of interactive artifacts (editing representation of possible interactions vs. editing game world objects)
* reconciling adaptive games and emergence in game systems with authoring tools (authoring non-static artifacts)

If you are unsure about the appropriateness of your paper idea, feel free to email one of the organizers.