[game_edu] Interactive Fiction Games for Mobile Learning?

Clara Fernandez telmah at mit.edu
Tue May 7 10:41:17 EDT 2013

Hi, Tiffany,

1. I have only found 2 games in the Interactive Fiction Database that may
fit what you're looking for, a game to teach German and another to teach
English
Ausflug am Wochenende nach München
http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=rurv9kv8vm3rve4r
London http://ifdb.tads.org/viewgame?id=ztw7mqwosxv2mia0

2. There is plenty of interactive fiction on iPad right now. Some of it can
be programmed in Inform / Glux and then played on Frotz for iOS or Twisty
for Android. Recent releases are standalone apps for iOS, such as The
Warbler's Nest, Shade, The Dreamhold, Host Sail for the Heliopause and Home.

For more information on IF and resources, you can start here
http://pr-if.org/

Hope this helps!

Clara

2013/5/7 Tiffany Taylor Attaway <jiminica at gmail.com>

> Hi,

> I'm doing some information-gathering and I'm hoping you all can give me

> some leads, as the things I'm researching are not necessarily easy to

> google and come up with concrete answers. Plus I was given this assignment

> yesterday and my proposal is due Thursday!

> My organization wants to create a tool/game for language learning that can

> be used on a mobile device. One of the ideas under consideration is that of

> using the interactive fiction game model of a parser that the user "talks"

> (types) to and gets feedback.

> 1. Are there any interactive fiction games, or games that use a parser to

> decipher language input from the user, that are used for educational

> purposes? We're interested in examining those that teach a language or ESL,

> but I would like to look at some from other content domains in the research

> phase.

> 2. Are there any interactive fiction games, or games that use a parser to

> decipher language input from the user, that work on a mobile device?

> I'd appreciate any directions that you can point me in. I've got links to

> some IF sites and a copy of a book on IF, so any suggestions you can give

> me to narrow my search are greatly appreciated.

> Thanks!

> Tiffany Taylor Attaway

> jiminica at gmail.com

Clara Fernández-Vara, Ph.D.