[game_edu] Ph.D. in Digital Game Design

George D. Phillies phillies at WPI.EDU
Mon May 13 19:06:34 EDT 2013

Not at great length:

We are preparing to offer a Ph.D. (we may well make a habit of this, but
the local custom is that you start with a single degree to a single
person) in Digital Game Design. We do actually have a moderate idea of
what we are planning to do, tuned to the particular credentials of the
particular candidate, but I would be interested in hearing opinions as to
what sort of things ought to go into a doctorate in the field. I am
deliberately being vague to encourage discussion.

Now, of I were doing this in my home discipline (Physics) I would know
with great clarity what I would propose, and most physicists at most
doctorate-granting schools would I expect be in agreement. There seem to
be rather fewer precedents in game design, so I thought I would throw out
this very open-ended question and see what responses I had.

George Phillies
Professor, Physics, and
WPI Associated Faculty in Interactive Media and Game Development, and
WPI Associated Faculty in Biochemistry