[game_edu] Ph.D. in Digital Game Design

Mike Sellers mike at onlinealchemy.com
Mon May 13 19:20:39 EDT 2013

As a non-PhD (but there's still time), one thing I would require is actual
industry experience in designing and developing games (full cycle, from
start to post-launch). I know this goes against a lot of what academia is
about for some, but I believe this is crucial. Is there another discipline
where it's possible to get an advanced degree without actually having
experience in the subject area?

I guess the other question I'd ask is, what is a PhD in this field intended
to indicate and facilitate? "Research" in game design is pre-Newtonian at
best, so other than checking the "terminal degree" box for university
appointment, this is one I'm not sure about.

Mike Sellers