[game_edu] Ph.D. in Digital Game Design

Ian Schreiber ai864 at yahoo.com
Tue May 14 00:00:08 EDT 2013

There aren't a whole lot of PhDs in game design, probably because, as Mike says, the concept of "research" isn't all that well-defined. I'd avoid the temptation to draw analogies to physics - game design is most definitely NOT a hard science. If you must look for a model, I'd suggest looking to the softer sciences (think of what a Psychology PhD would have looked like just as Freud was starting to publish, that's approximately where we are in game design). But perhaps an even better model would be the other arts/entertainment/communications fields. If you want to study, say, scriptwriting for movies, what would a PhD look like (and I'm not talking about "media studies" PhDs where you're studying the end products of other people's work and putting it in a cultural context)? What about if you were studying painting, or UI/UX, or investigative journalism, or really anything where the whole point of the field is to create an end-user-focused product of some
kind? (Okay, that's probably an oversimplification, but you know what I mean.)

The other question I would be asking, both for your program and for the theses of any students entering it, is what you do once you have research results worth sharing? There aren't a whole lot of academic journals of game design to publish in, and even if there were, no one who actually makes games reads them. If the goal of research is to gain some real understanding of the world around us, solve real problems, or gain additional tools to do so, that goal is lost if the research is put in a place where no one notices it so it never gets built on. Publishing on Gamasutra, presenting at GDC, and making a playable game all seem like appropriate venues for disseminating game design research; on the other hand, I don't think these would fit the traditional criteria or publishing requirements for a lot of PhD programs...

- Ian