[game_edu] CfP: Roleplaying Game Studies Handbook – A Workshop @ DiGRA 2013

Jose P. Zagal jzagal at cdm.depaul.edu
Fri May 31 15:03:38 EDT 2013

*Call for Participation : Roleplaying Game Studies Handbook – A Workshop
@ DiGRA 2013*

The study of roleplaying games has remained a small and somewhat
separate tradition within game studies writ large. Yet roleplaying games
arguably defined and influenced many design elements of today’s digital
games, and constitute a formational experience for many influential
digital game designers. More importantly, the peculiarities of
non-digital roleplaying games as a socially shared effort of
imagination, storytelling, simulation, and gaming have generated
insights that have much to offer to the wider field of game studies.

Unfortunately, most publications in the field of roleplaying game
studies remain scattered, offering no easy access to central concepts,
theories, and traditions for interested scholars. We would therefore
like to invite you to participate in a workshop at the DiGRA 2013
conference with the goal of collaborating and working together in
outlining a handbook of RPG Studies.

What are the fundamental concepts, theory, and ideas should this
handbook include? What form should this book take? Should it gather and
collect the seminal and foundational work in this area – more like a
reader? Perhaps would it be best if the book were a detailed survey of
the state-of-the art in our understanding, with long handbook chapters?
Or an encyclopedia – with medium-length entries on a variety of relevant
topics? These are the kinds of questions we want to answer with you.
Initial interest by publishers has been signaled, but who to publish
with will also be discussed. Our goal is to ensure that, together, we
can all produce a work that best answers individual needs and interests
and those of the larger game studies community.

To ensure a productive and efficient workshop experience, we will limit
participation to 15 people. Additionally, we will collate and distribute
the submissions to all participants prior to the workshop. These
submissions will serve as the basis for our discussions and workshop
activities.

Find more details about the workshop here: http://rpghandbook.tumblr.com

*Important Dates*

**

*Deadline: *July 15, 2013

*Notifications:*July 30, 2013

*Workshop Date:* TBA, but sometime during DiGRA 2013 (August 26-29, 2013)

*Submissions*

This workshop is a bit different, so it’s not necessary to submit a
paper or give a talk. Instead, we are asking interested participants to
submit:

1.A *free-listing of topics* that should be covered in the handbook.

2.A *proposed table of contents* for the handbook. This table of
contents should clearly describe what the key texts and topics are as
well as what authors or contributors should or might pen each chapter.
Feel free to self-nominate as a potential contributor! Also, you can add
a rationale (short sentence) for each chapter explaining why it ought to
have a place in such a handbook.

3.A *short (1-2 paragraph) bio* of yours that is RPG-specific. In a
nutshell, this bio should help us (the organizers) recognize why you,
with your background and expertise, would make an excellent contributor
to the workshop.

Please send questions and/or your submission to jzagal at cdm.depaul.edu
<mailto:jzagal at cdm.depaul.edu> before July 15, 2013.

We look forward to hearing from you!