[game_edu] Suggestions for Reading

coachpayne at aol.com coachpayne at aol.com
Fri Jan 24 16:14:00 EST 2014

Hi Folks:

I'm hosting and teaching a ten-day Game Design and Simulation MiniTerm at this school, the North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics. I've done this at another school, and hosted it here last year. I'm not a professional game designer, but I've used gaming in my science classes since the mid-1970s, from board games to physically active games to computer games. I'm not an expert, but I listen well and read a lot, and experiment with what I've made. Several of the kids who have taken this MiniTerm, as well as the semester classes I initiated and taught prior to retirement from public education have entered the industry, and others have written me that they have an appreciation of the work that you real designers undertake in producing games. I still need to continue to research and hear about what is being done now in terms of design, production, and marketing of games of all types. Below is a list of resources I've read in the past and have available for my students. Some are good, some are not as accessible. I'd really like to know of other resources that might be available. If I could solicit suggestions from you of other books or materials, I'd be very appreciative.

Here is a list of what I have available for the kids, and that I've read:

Brackeen, David, with Bret Barker. Developing Games in Java
Brathwaite, Brenda, and Ian Schreiber. Challenges for GameDesigners: Non-Digital Exercise for Video Game Designers
Dille, Flint, and John Zuur Patten. The Ultimate Guide toVideo Game Writing and Design
Koster, Ralph. A Theory of Fun for Game Design
Perry, David, and Rusel DeMaria. David Perry on Game Design:A Brainstorming Toolbox
Rogers, Scott. Level Up: The Guide to Great Video GameDesign
Schell, Jesse. The Art of Game Design
Huizinga, Johan. Homo Ludens: A Study of the Play Element inCulture
Fullerton, Tracy. Game Design Workshop
McGonigal, Jane, Reality is Broken: Why Games Make Us Betterand How They Change the World.
Salen, Katie (ed). The Ecology of Games: Connecting Youth,Games, and Learning
Ladd, Brian, and Jam Jenkins. Introductory Programming with Simple Games:UsingJava & the Freely Available Networked Gaming Engine
Gaddis, Tony. Games & Graphics in C++

I've also got a recording of Rise of the Video Game,a five-part series on The Discovery Channel about the history of video gamesthat aired in 2007, also broadcast as I, Videogame in Europe.

The wiki from an earlier MiniTerm at another school where I taught this is http://saintsgames.wikispaces.com/.

Any help or suggestions would be very welcome!

Thanks.

--

Charlie Payne

Instructor of Physics

Head Cross Country Coach

North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics

Durham, NC

paynec at ncssm.edu
919-416-2765