[game_edu] Suggestions for Reading

Mike Sellers mike at onlinealchemy.com
Fri Jan 24 19:56:20 EST 2014

Off the top of my head I'd suggest Hunicke, et al. on Mechanics, Dynamics,
Aesthetics (MDA) - http://www.cs.northwestern.edu/~hunicke/MDA.pdf. (I seem
to be continually suggesting this paper and finding people who don't know
it. :) )

Also, while not nearly as accessible, Alexander's "A Pattern Language."
It's not about game design, but the way of thinking it engenders has been
helpful to me (and of course this has become pervasive in the software
world, to the point that people forget where the "design patterns" idea
came from).

Possibly also "Playing Video Games" (Vorderer & Bryant, eds.), but I may be
biased as I have a chapter in it.

Mike Sellers