[game_edu] Source Control in Education

Jeremy Gibson jrgibson at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 16:07:44 EDT 2014

I can tell you that subversion is (or was) particularly bad for large
files. They may have updated it since I used it last in 2008, but at the
time, svn only checked the first kilobyte and the size of a file to see if
it was different from a previous version. We were working in Flash at the
time, and frequently, svn would ignore changes in .fla files because the
size was similar and the first K was the same.

  – Jeremy

On Friday, October 17, 2014, Gregory Walek <gwalek at ccsnh.edu> wrote:

> I'm reevaluating source control technologies for use in my program and
> looking for feed back.  I'm looking to know what are my options and what
> you think is the best option to use.
>
> If you also have any suggestions for best practices to teaching,
> implementing it, and having students use source control, I'd love to hear
> about that as well!
>
> Here's some context about my program:
> We are a programming degree for game development.  We do use the Unreal
> Engine and sometimes use Unreal for capstone projects. As such, we can have
> many & large files that may need to be stored in the repository.

Jeremy R. Gibson
Game Designer / Professor
o. 434.321.8624    c.512.659.8624