[game_edu] Source Control in Education

Robbie Grigg grigg.r at nhtv.nl
Sat Oct 18 23:39:59 EDT 2014

We have three currently in use:
- SVN (Subversion - https://subversion.apache.org) with an added web
interface for students to easily configure new projects
(Our tutorial for students on how to use it:
http://3dgep.com/using-subversion)
- Unity Asset Server (http://unity3d.com/unity/collaboration) available for
Unity projects
(Note: They can use other source control systems such as SVN with Unity.
See our tutorial on how to do this with Unity projects:
http://3dgep.com/using-version-control-with-unity)
- Hansoft (http://www.hansoft.com) which we offer in later years and is
used by EA, Id Software etc..

Hansoft provide free academic licensing and it is a great system. This is
an integrated Project Management, QA, Source-Control etc.. but most
importantly supports development methodologies like Agile.

They now have great educational resources available in an area called the
Hansoft Academy (http://www.hansoft.com/hansoftacademy).

Although it has it's own source control you can connect it to things such
as Perforce (we are considering) and GIT (also used by some students), see
http://www.hansoft.com/sdk-integrations.

Cheers,

Robbie

Senior Lecturer
NHTV Breda University of Applied Science
IGAD Programme Programming
<http://www.nhtv.nl/wohbo-bachelors/games/international-game-architecture-and-design/course-characteristics/variations/programming.html>
Coordinator
at the MADE Academy