[game_edu] Source Control in Education

Dr. Mike Reddy doctormikereddy at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 01:38:25 EDT 2014

At the University of South Wales (USW), we've been using Mercurial, and lately git, with bitBucket, which allows private as well as open source projects; some game engine licenses do not allow for public release of proprietary source code. It's also a good lesson for the students to administer their own repositories. Generally, bitBucket allows up to five members of a project, but this level is lifted if you recommend others to sign up (like Dropbox in its viral approach) or if you sign up as a student. Why you'd want any source code control for large binaries escapes me; it's SOURCE code control, so nothing would be geared towards binary files. However, most good repositories allow FTP access to uploaded files. What I get my students to do is package up executables as a separate download on bitBucket, as it has a download tab for projects. Once a game is done, and potentially problematic sources removed, the repository can be set to public, so anyone can have access to a playable executable and issue tracking for bugs, QA testing (something we assess our students on) and software support, should the students wish to release their games for showreel purposes.

--
Dr. Mike Reddy FRSA
Future Technology and Games | Technoleg y Dyfodol a Gemau

Tel | Ffôn: 01633 432 452
Fax | Ffacs: 01633 432307
Mob | Symudol: 07971 170 199

http://www.southwales.ac.uk

Confidential and legally privileged information may be contained in this message. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else or take any action based upon its contents. Any views or opinions expressed are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the University of South Wales.

Fe all cynnwys yr e-bost hwn fod yn gyfrinachol ac yn gyfreithiol freintiedig. Os derbyniwyd yr e-bost hwn trwy gamgymeriad, dylid hysbysu’r anfonydd, dileu’r e-bost ac ni ddylid copïo’r e-bost na chyflawni unrhyw weithred ar sail ei gynnwys. Barn neu safbwyntiau’r awdur yw’r rhai a fynegir yn yr e-bost hwn ac nid ydynt o angenrheidrwydd yn adlewyrchu barn Prifysgol De Cymru