[game_edu] Group project team formation

John Healy johnhealy123 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 17:57:33 EDT 2015

Hi Malcolm,

I would recommend taking a look at www.catme.org from Purdue. It allows for
building teams based on a series of questions and will allow you to put
students together after it has built the teams. It allows custom questions
and I've found it to work quite well for game development. Most of all it's
rigorous in terms of the underlying research behind it so I think it's a
pretty reliable bet.

As a benefit the peer review system built into Catme is excellent and can
show up conflicts within a team that might otherwise go unnoticed. Equally,
students get anonymised feedback in terms of how their peers rate their
performance and this can be really beneficial in game development education.

For team size I think you're spot on with 3-4 as I think anymore brings in
too much of a "free-rider" effect.

Best of luck with it!
John